wanted: getElementByClass()

Europus-2
I know that this function doesn't exist in the DOM. Yet.
It doesn't currently appear to exist in jQuery either, I
couldn't find anything searching the documentation online.
I'm looking for a home-rolled custom function that is
jQuery compatible, so I can add some behaviors to it.

Does anyone have something up their sleeve?  :-)

A more general question for the more knowledgeable js
programmers:

What is the difference between onMouseOver & onMouseOut
and onFocus & onBlur? Is the latter for use in forms only
or what?

Ulex

Re: wanted: getElementByClass()

Roman-87
In jQuery you're supposed to use the CSS way to locate elements. So,
in your case you'd use this: $(".yourclassname") to get a list of
elements with the specified class.

You should use a web search engine to find answers to your questions
about the events. That's basic stuff and is not related to jQuery UI.

On Jul 19, 8:36 am, Europus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that this function doesn't exist in the DOM. Yet.
> It doesn't currently appear to exist in jQuery either, I
> couldn't find anything searching the documentation online.
> I'm looking for a home-rolled custom function that is
> jQuery compatible, so I can add some behaviors to it.
>
> Does anyone have something up their sleeve?  :-)
>
> A more general question for the more knowledgeable js
> programmers:
>
> What is the difference between onMouseOver & onMouseOut
> and onFocus & onBlur? Is the latter for use in forms only
> or what?
>
> Ulex

Re: wanted: getElementByClass()

Detlef

On 19 Jul., 15:36, Europus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that this function doesn't exist in the DOM. Yet.
> It doesn't currently appear to exist in jQuery either, I
> couldn't find anything searching the documentation online.
> I'm looking for a home-rolled custom function that is
> jQuery compatible, so I can add some behaviors to it.
>
> Does anyone have something up their sleeve?  :-)
>
> A more general question for the more knowledgeable js
> programmers:
>
> What is the difference between onMouseOver & onMouseOut
> and onFocus & onBlur? Is the latter for use in forms only
> or what?
>
> Ulex

IMO onFocus can be caused not only by "click", but also by "tab".

Detlef Lindenthal

Re: Re: wanted: getElementByClass()

Europus-2
On 20-Jul-10 18:53, Detlef wrote:

> IMO onFocus can be caused not only by "click", but also by "tab".

Got the event firing with the desired style changes for mouseOver
and mouseOut, now how to add focus and blur for the better SEO
posture and alternative browsers, hmmm.

On Jul 20, 6:00 pm, Europus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 20-Jul-10 18:53, Detlef wrote:
>
> > IMO onFocus can be caused not only by "click", but also by "tab".
>
> Got the event firing with the desired style changes for mouseOver
> and mouseOut, now how to add focus and blur for the better SEO
> posture and alternative browsers, hmmm.

Why would SEO results be improved by dynamic UI effects?

On 20-Jul-10 19:11, Roman wrote:

> On Jul 20, 6:00 pm, Europus<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 20-Jul-10 18:53, Detlef wrote:
>>
>>> IMO onFocus can be caused not only by "click", but also by "tab".
>>
>> Got the event firing with the desired style changes for mouseOver
>> and mouseOut, now how to add focus and blur for the better SEO
>> posture and alternative browsers, hmmm.
>
> Why would SEO results be improved by dynamic UI effects?

Hellifino. But I read somewhere that adding focus and blur handlers
to mouseOver and mouseOut events was good for the alternative Web
browsers and therefore good practice. Perhaps I misspoke when I
invoked SEO. Are you being overly critical?

Ulex

Re: wanted: getElementByClass()

Roman-87
>Are you being overly critical?

That's for you to decide :)  I was just wondering about the connection
between the two things. Do you not find questioning your assumptions
useful? I do.

On 20-Jul-10 19:31, Roman wrote:
>> Are you being overly critical?
>
> That's for you to decide :)  I was just wondering about the connection
> between the two things. Do you not find questioning your assumptions
> useful? I do.

Absolutely.  ;)

Ulex