jQuery is Moving to a Forum

John Resig
Administrator
Hello All -

After much deliberation the jQuery team has decided to close down the
Google Groups that we've been using for project discussion and move to
a unified forum instead.

The new forum can be found here:
http://forum.jquery.com/

More information about our decision to move can be found here:
http://jquery14.com/day-07/new-jquery-forum

If you have any questions concerning the move please feel free to post
them in the new meta discussion forum here:
http://forum.jquery.com/about-the-jquery-forum

Thanks for your continued support and here's to future community discussions!

--John

Re: jQuery is Moving to a Forum

Andrea Raimondi-2
Just my 0.2 in order to contribute to the ongoing discussion:

I think that there're advantages to both approaches, forum and mailing list.
The main advantage of a mailing list, especially for people using
Gmail like me, is that emails are searchable in a
much simpler and easier way than a forum.
Searches are most likely to be faster, because they're local to the
user instead of being queries to the forum database.

Forums, on the other side, provide a much easier categorization,
backup, structure.
Most advanced forums allow you to receive emails only for topics of
interest and they allow to
have a much easier view of the whole discussion(something that emails
will *never* be able to provide).

Emails have the advantage(as someone said) to be blind friendly,
surely much more than an Ajax forum.

Ideally, some respected member of the JQuery community may take over
the management of the group or having a "JQuery SWAT", so to say which
will delete spam messages.

Ideally, the forum could provide an NNTP interface as well.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Re: jQuery is Moving to a Forum

Sidney San Martín
On Jan 23, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Andrea Raimondi wrote:

> I think that there're advantages to both approaches, forum and mailing list.

Absolutely.

> Ideally, some respected member of the JQuery community may take over
> the management of the group or having a "JQuery SWAT", so to say which
> will delete spam messages.

Two separate systems? That doesn't sound so ideal.

> Ideally, the forum could provide an NNTP interface as well.

I [suggested providing mailing list-style access][1] on the forum. That would be the best of both worlds. jQuery is certainly not the last project that's going to move away from a traditional list, and now is our best chance to make access over standard protocols (like email and NNTP) the standard, by convincing Zoho to add it for us.

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Sidney San Martín <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Two separate systems? That doesn't sound so ideal.

Uhm, no, obviously not what I meant :-)
I meant that the list could be kept alone with the "swat team" doing
the dirty work.

> I [suggested providing mailing list-style access][1] on the forum. That would be the best of both worlds. jQuery is certainly not
> the last project that's going to move away from a traditional list, and now is our best chance to make access over standard
> protocols (like email and NNTP) the standard, by convincing Zoho to add it for us.

Having malining list access on the forum imho poses a tremendous
problem: it's fine when you read, but how's the system supposed to
"point" the message to the correct thread? If you think about it a
minute, you'll see that there could be a problem.
NNTP is, imho, blind friendly and at the same time standard giivng
impaired users the same "chances" to interact.

Andrea Raimondi
Senior Software Analyst&Developer

On Jan 24, 2010, at 3:10 AM, Andrea Raimondi wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Sidney San Martín <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Two separate systems? That doesn't sound so ideal.
>
> Uhm, no, obviously not what I meant :-)
> I meant that the list could be kept alone with the "swat team" doing
> the dirty work.

Do you mean something other than keeping the list running alongside the forum?

>> I [suggested providing mailing list-style access][1] on the forum. That would be the best of both worlds. jQuery is certainly not
>> the last project that's going to move away from a traditional list, and now is our best chance to make access over standard
>> protocols (like email and NNTP) the standard, by convincing Zoho to add it for us.
>
> Having malining list access on the forum imho poses a tremendous
> problem: it's fine when you read, but how's the system supposed to
> "point" the message to the correct thread? If you think about it a
> minute, you'll see that there could be a problem.

That problem was solved long ago by CRMs and bug trackers. Emails coming from the forum just need to come with a tag in the subject line or a unique reply-to address. There should also be a general email address for each sub-forum that's used to start new threads.