What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

JeremyChone
Any mobile browser part of the jQuery test suite?

Any roadmap on the subject?

--
Jeremy Chone
+1 415 699 9912

Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

John Resig
Administrator
> Any mobile browser part of the jQuery test suite?

Not yet, no.

> Any roadmap on the subject?

Yes! We've already collected a number of mobile devices from
manufacturers and will be integrating them into our test suite after
1.4 is out.

--John

Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

JeremyChone
Very cool. I think and hope that mobile apps will eventually move to
the Web (as they did in the PC world). Good to hear that the jQuery
team is looking ahead.

My 2 cents: jQuery does not have to support 90% of the browser enabled
mobile devices, but just focus on the strategic ones. Even if it
supports only iPhone 3GS+, Android 2.0+, Palm Pre, and Blackberry
(from a version that have a descent mobile browser), it would be a
huge step forward. Other devices can use simpler HTML/CSS interfaces.
At first, I think that high-quality support is more important than
volume of devices supported. As long as the Web developer has a
significantly higher reach that developing native SDK apps, jQuery for
Mobile would bring a great value.

Also, might be a good idea to create/sponsor a jQueryMobile, which
could be a sort of jQueryUI for the Mobile world (e.g., smaller and
more targeted to Mobile widgets).

Anyway, just thoughts. Thanks for the response.

Jeremy,

On Jan 10, 9:56 am, John Resig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Any mobile browser part of the jQuery test suite?
>
> Not yet, no.
>
> > Any roadmap on the subject?
>
> Yes! We've already collected a number of mobile devices from
> manufacturers and will be integrating them into our test suite after
> 1.4 is out.
>
> --John

Re: Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

Ralph Whitbeck
Jeremy,

If you are interested John and I discuss mobile jQuery alot more in the first episode of the jQuery Podcast. http://blog.jquery.com/2009/11/13/announcing-the-official-jquery-podcast/

Ralph

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Jeremy Chone <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very cool. I think and hope that mobile apps will eventually move to
the Web (as they did in the PC world). Good to hear that the jQuery
team is looking ahead.

My 2 cents: jQuery does not have to support 90% of the browser enabled
mobile devices, but just focus on the strategic ones. Even if it
supports only iPhone 3GS+, Android 2.0+, Palm Pre, and Blackberry
(from a version that have a descent mobile browser), it would be a
huge step forward. Other devices can use simpler HTML/CSS interfaces.
At first, I think that high-quality support is more important than
volume of devices supported. As long as the Web developer has a
significantly higher reach that developing native SDK apps, jQuery for
Mobile would bring a great value.

Also, might be a good idea to create/sponsor a jQueryMobile, which
could be a sort of jQueryUI for the Mobile world (e.g., smaller and
more targeted to Mobile widgets).

Anyway, just thoughts. Thanks for the response.

Jeremy,

On Jan 10, 9:56 am, John Resig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any mobile browser part of the jQuery test suite?
>
> Not yet, no.
>
> > Any roadmap on the subject?
>
> Yes! We've already collected a number of mobile devices from
> manufacturers and will be integrating them into our test suite after
> 1.4 is out.
>
> --John

Re: Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

Rick Waldron
I've been using jQuery 1.4a2 with webOS apps as-is, so far no real issues. One thing I'm working on as a personal project is creating a plugin to support the following events:

acceleration, orientationchange, shaking, shakestart, shakeend

More news as progress continues.

Rick

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Ralph Whitbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jeremy,

If you are interested John and I discuss mobile jQuery alot more in the first episode of the jQuery Podcast. http://blog.jquery.com/2009/11/13/announcing-the-official-jquery-podcast/

Ralph

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Jeremy Chone <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very cool. I think and hope that mobile apps will eventually move to
the Web (as they did in the PC world). Good to hear that the jQuery
team is looking ahead.

My 2 cents: jQuery does not have to support 90% of the browser enabled
mobile devices, but just focus on the strategic ones. Even if it
supports only iPhone 3GS+, Android 2.0+, Palm Pre, and Blackberry
(from a version that have a descent mobile browser), it would be a
huge step forward. Other devices can use simpler HTML/CSS interfaces.
At first, I think that high-quality support is more important than
volume of devices supported. As long as the Web developer has a
significantly higher reach that developing native SDK apps, jQuery for
Mobile would bring a great value.

Also, might be a good idea to create/sponsor a jQueryMobile, which
could be a sort of jQueryUI for the Mobile world (e.g., smaller and
more targeted to Mobile widgets).

Anyway, just thoughts. Thanks for the response.

Jeremy,

On Jan 10, 9:56 am, John Resig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any mobile browser part of the jQuery test suite?
>
> Not yet, no.
>
> > Any roadmap on the subject?
>
> Yes! We've already collected a number of mobile devices from
> manufacturers and will be integrating them into our test suite after
> 1.4 is out.
>
> --John

Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

JeremyChone
Thanks, nice interview. And, yes, agree with John, the devices
selection is key. Also, IMO 3rd party browsers should not be a
priority (focusing on the device default browser would bring a better
reach)

Jeremy,

On Jan 11, 1:13 pm, Rick Waldron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using jQuery 1.4a2 with webOS apps as-is, so far no real issues.
> One thing I'm working on as a personal project is creating a plugin to
> support the following events:
>
> acceleration, orientationchange, shaking, shakestart, shakeend
>
> More news as progress continues.
>
> Rick
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Ralph Whitbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

> > Jeremy,
>
> > If you are interested John and I discuss mobile jQuery alot more in the
> > first episode of the jQuery Podcast.
> >http://blog.jquery.com/2009/11/13/announcing-the-official-jquery-podc...
>
> > Ralph
>
> > On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Jeremy Chone <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> >> Very cool. I think and hope that mobile apps will eventually move to
> >> the Web (as they did in the PC world). Good to hear that the jQuery
> >> team is looking ahead.
>
> >> My 2 cents: jQuery does not have to support 90% of the browser enabled
> >> mobile devices, but just focus on the strategic ones. Even if it
> >> supports only iPhone 3GS+, Android 2.0+, Palm Pre, and Blackberry
> >> (from a version that have a descent mobile browser), it would be a
> >> huge step forward. Other devices can use simpler HTML/CSS interfaces.
> >> At first, I think that high-quality support is more important than
> >> volume of devices supported. As long as the Web developer has a
> >> significantly higher reach that developing native SDK apps, jQuery for
> >> Mobile would bring a great value.
>
> >> Also, might be a good idea to create/sponsor a jQueryMobile, which
> >> could be a sort of jQueryUI for the Mobile world (e.g., smaller and
> >> more targeted to Mobile widgets).
>
> >> Anyway, just thoughts. Thanks for the response.
>
> >> Jeremy,

> >> --

Re: Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

John Resig
Administrator
> Thanks, nice interview. And, yes, agree with John, the devices
> selection is key. Also, IMO 3rd party browsers should not be a
> priority (focusing on the device default browser would bring a better
> reach)

I use to think similarly to you but Opera has such a dominant position
in the mobile space that it would be foolhardy to ignore it
completely.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-ww-monthly-200812-201001

That being said, in the end we're only going to support the browsers
that it's reasonable to attempt to support.

--John

Re: Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

Sam  Collett
With Windows Mobile, IE is a very poor mobile browser, so I usually replace it with Opera, which I others may do as well, so it would be good if it was supported. I wouldn't be surprised if it was as standards complaint as the desktop version.

--Sam

2010/1/11 John Resig <[hidden email]>
> Thanks, nice interview. And, yes, agree with John, the devices
> selection is key. Also, IMO 3rd party browsers should not be a
> priority (focusing on the device default browser would bring a better
> reach)

I use to think similarly to you but Opera has such a dominant position
in the mobile space that it would be foolhardy to ignore it
completely.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-ww-monthly-200812-201001

That being said, in the end we're only going to support the browsers
that it's reasonable to attempt to support.

--John

Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

JeremyChone
@John good stats site. I did not know this one. Yes, mobile opera has
impressive numbers.

If the plan is to support default browsers on Android, iPhone, modern
blackberry, plus Opera for other devices, then I think it is a great
start.

Jeremy,

al;

Re: What's jQuery's mobile support & strategy?

al;
Hi Jon,

I just listened to the podcast where you mention your work on mobile
support and wanted to say that in my explorations on the same topic I
think I have found that hover is actually usable on those blackberries
that support haptic feedback.

On the one that I got to use for 2mins I had to push on the screen to
'click' the links and the hover css was working (I'm pretty sure).  I
am waiting to get my hands on that device again to confirm this
(because I didn't realize what I had seen until afterwards,) but that
may take quite a while.

I was so focused on determining how much of the webKit and related
items, (css animations, sqlLite, jQTouch, html manifests, etc.,)
worked on other devices besides the iPhone that I didn't realize that
hover [maybe] was working. I'm working to be able to produce single
mobile web codebases that give a consistent experience across the top
mobiles (Andriod, Backberry, iPhone, Opera, PalmPre).

I am a _huge_ fan of jQuery -- I had basically given up after fighting
the 'browser wars' for so long, and it totally re-energized me on web
programming!

Thanks so much!!

Al;