.SlideUp() + Firefox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

.SlideUp() + Firefox

Peter Wright-8
.SlideUp() + Firefox

Hello,

    Has anyone else ever noticed a rather disgusting scrollbar redraw causing a page to flicker when the content shrinks in size (usually triggered by SlideUp())?

This occurs when the document's height is reduced gradually causing the viewport's view to be invalid multiple times a second. so the scrollbar has to be redrawn to handle where the viewport's location matches the bottom of the page. If anyone knows of a graceful solution to implement handling a clean slideUp when the viewport is near the document bottom I would much appreciate it, perhaps something to be considered in the 1.4 release?

Kind regards,

Peter Wright

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email and any attachments are confidential and are for the use of the
addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you must not use or disclose the
contents to any other person. Please immediately notify the sender and
delete the email. Statements and opinions expressed here may not
represent those of the company. Email correspondence is monitored by
the company. This information may be subject to Export Control
Regulation. You are obliged to comply with such Regulations

The parent company of the Renishaw Group is Renishaw plc, registered in
England no. 1106260. Registered Office: New Mills, Wotton-under-Edge,
Gloucestershire, GL12 8JR, United Kingdom. Tel +44 (0) 1453 524524
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jQuery Development" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev?hl=en.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .SlideUp() + Firefox

alexander farkas
Yes, this is a big problem. But, i don´t know a solution. I wrote two
workarounds for that.

1. disable scrolbar on body + add padding-right in the size of the
scrollbar width (has to dynamically calclated) for the time the
animation occurs. between disabling scrollbar and calling slideup has
to be a short delay, so that ff can render the disabled scrollbar
before animating.

pro:
- although this sounds very obtrusive, the delayed scrollbar change isn
´t noticed by normal users
- this could be easily generalized
con:
sometimes the bad effect still happens (if someone knows a reason for
this, plz tell me)

2. animate the scrolltop of body at the same time to scroll up

pro:
- if you make the upscrplling a little faster than the slideup, the
effect doesn´t appear

con:
- you can´t generate a generalized code to do this. (multi-colum
layout etc....)

On 22 Dez., 12:39, "Peter Wright" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Has anyone else ever noticed a rather disgusting scrollbar redraw
> causing a page to flicker when the content shrinks in size (usually
> triggered by SlideUp())?
>
> This occurs when the document's height is reduced gradually causing the
> viewport's view to be invalid multiple times a second. so the scrollbar
> has to be redrawn to handle where the viewport's location matches the
> bottom of the page. If anyone knows of a graceful solution to implement
> handling a clean slideUp when the viewport is near the document bottom I
> would much appreciate it, perhaps something to be considered in the 1.4
> release?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Peter Wright
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This email and any attachments are confidential and are for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you must not use or disclose the contents to any other person. Please immediately notify the sender and delete the email. Statements and opinions expressed here may not represent those of the company. Email correspondence is monitored by the company. This information may be subject to Export Control Regulation. You are obliged to comply with such Regulations
>
> The parent company of the Renishaw Group is Renishaw plc, registered in England no. 1106260. Registered Office: New Mills, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, GL12 8JR, United Kingdom. Tel +44 (0) 1453 524524
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jQuery Development" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev?hl=en.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .SlideUp() + Firefox

maxtorque
I have also observed egregious redraw flicker when using JQuery's
animate() function in FireFox whenever content has scrollbars.  I've
taken a hidescrollbars-animate-showscrollbars workaround.  Since most
if not all of JQuery's effects are built on top of animate() it seems
that any effect that moves pixels and has scrollbars will suffer this
same bad fate.

On Dec 22 2009, 9:34 am, alexander farkas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, this is a bigproblem. But, i don´t know a solution. I wrote two
> workarounds for that.
>
> 1. disable scrolbar on body + add padding-right in the size of the
> scrollbar width (has to dynamically calclated) for the time theanimationoccurs. between disabling scrollbar and callingslideuphas
> to be a short delay, so that ff can render the disabled scrollbar
> before animating.
>
> pro:
> - although this sounds very obtrusive, the delayed scrollbar change isn
> ´t noticed by normal users
> - this could be easily generalized
> con:
> sometimes the bad effect still happens (if someone knows a reason for
> this, plz tell me)
>
> 2. animate the scrolltop of body at the same time to scroll up
>
> pro:
> - if you make the upscrplling a little faster than theslideup, the
> effect doesn´t appear
>
> con:
> - you can´t generate a generalized code to do this. (multi-colum
> layout etc....)
>
> On 22 Dez., 12:39, "Peter Wright" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> >     Has anyone else ever noticed a rather disgusting scrollbar redraw
> > causing a page to flicker when the content shrinks in size (usually
> > triggered bySlideUp())?
>
> > This occurs when the document's height is reduced gradually causing the
> > viewport's view to be invalid multiple times a second. so the scrollbar
> > has to be redrawn to handle where the viewport's location matches the
> > bottom of the page. If anyone knows of a graceful solution to implement
> > handling a cleanslideUpwhen the viewport is near the document bottom I
> > would much appreciate it, perhaps something to be considered in the 1.4
> > release?
>
> > Kind regards,
>
> > Peter Wright
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > This email and any attachments are confidential and are for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you must not use or disclose the contents to any other person. Please immediately notify the sender and delete the email. Statements and opinions expressed here may not represent those of the company. Email correspondence is monitored by the company. This information may be subject to Export Control Regulation. You are obliged to comply with such Regulations
>
> > The parent company of the Renishaw Group is Renishaw plc, registered in England no. 1106260. Registered Office: New Mills, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, GL12 8JR, United Kingdom. Tel +44 (0) 1453 524524
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jQuery Development" group.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev?hl=en.