IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

elvisparsley-2

I have images with jquery cycle under superfish.
Dropdown submenu of superfish over the images goes behind the images.

I put z-index: 100; for the superfish menu and it works with firefox
but not with IE.

Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Re: IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

Uwe Schroeder

On Wednesday 03 December 2008, elvisparsley wrote:
> I have images with jquery cycle under superfish.
> Dropdown submenu of superfish over the images goes behind the images.
>
> I put z-index: 100; for the superfish menu and it works with firefox
> but not with IE.
>
> Can anyone help me out with this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've had a similar problem recently which nobody could answer. However, what I
found is this:
if you have an element that is floating and has a position of "relative",
superfish will go below it in all IE versions I have to test (not
firefox,chrome or safari). Remove the "relative" positioning and everything
is fine, but it might screw up whichever element you have that shines thru.

I don't know if that's the same issue you have, but symptoms sure look very
similar.

HTH

Uwe

Re: IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

elvisparsley-2

Thanks Uwe for your reply.

I read about relative thing.
I haven't tried it yet.

But superfish has relative so that child can have absolute to position
itself.

As you said, it will screw up some parts.

Superfish has bigframe.js for the same problem with frames, but it
does not work for other things.

I will try to remove relative and I will see.

I hope some one will help me out.

Re: IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

elvisparsley-2

I took out relative from the jquery cycle plugin, but superfish still
goes behind the images.

Mmmmmm.

Any more help?
Please....

Re: IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

bilcorry

elvisparsley wrote on 12/4/2008 1:00 AM:
> I have images with jquery cycle under superfish.
> Dropdown submenu of superfish over the images goes behind the images.
>
> I put z-index: 100; for the superfish menu and it works with firefox
> but not with IE.

If bgiframe isn't fixing the issue, then read through these:

        OverlappingAndZIndex
        http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=OverlappingAndZIndex

        Give Me Some Zzzzz’s
        http://www.search-this.com/2007/08/15/give-me-some-zzzzzs/

        Effect of z-index value to positioned elements
        http://aplus.rs/lab/z-pos/index2.php

- Bil

Re: IE z-index problems with superfish and jquery.cycle.plugin.

Shatuga
What I did was move the jQuery Slideshow underneath the suckerfish menu by placing the entire slideshow in a separate stacking context that has z-index 0.

Your temptation might be to try to elevate the menu, but another strategy is to push down the slideshow, and putting the slideshow in a new stacking context means that the cycle plugin can set the images in the slideshow to as high a z-index as it wants but it will never rise above the enclosing element's z-index.

I did this with code for the slideshow like this:

*** your slideshow items here ***

Thanks for those links to understand stacking context.  They were confusing at first but very helpful.

I hope this strategy fixes your problem.

Warmest regards,
Mike - www.seventhridge.com/