Good Javascript editor or IDE?

12

Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Matt Penner-2

I've just started developing with jQuery in the last month.  I usually
use VS 2005 or Notepad++ for my JavaScript.  It's features are pretty
much nil as far as intellisense goes.  Mainly all they do is syntax
highlighting and formatting.

What recommendations on JavaScript editors or IDEs does anyone have?
Is there something sophisticated enough that can have intellisense
with jQuery or my own objects in external js files?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

AHeimlich
I highly recommend you check out Aptana (http://www.aptana.com)

--
Aaron Heimlich
Web Developer
[hidden email]
http://aheimlich.freepgs.com

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Priest, James (NIH/NIEHS) [C]

I use Eclipse/CFEclipse to develop my ColdFusion and have lately been
playing around with Aptana - works great for my CSS and I noticed it has
jQuery support I think:

http://www.aptana.com/

Jim

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

aezell

+1 for Aptana, quickly becoming a great IDE.

I'm on Mac, so I do most of text-editing in TextMate, but occasionally
I need something more IDE-oriented and pop over to Aptana.

/alex

On 8/1/07, Priest, James (NIH/NIEHS) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

njsuperfreak

Wow that's a fabulious plugin I was using JSEclipse.... good find!!

On Aug 1, 2:13 pm, "Priest, James (NIH/NIEHS) [C]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Mark D. Lincoln

Matt,

I just discovered Spket IDE (http://www.spket.com/).  It was recommended by
someone on the Ext (http://extjs.com/) forums and so far, I would say it is
great!  You can install it as a standalone application or as an Eclipse
plug-in.  Needless to say, you need Java installed (version 1.4.2 or
higher).  Spket currently supports Ext, jQuery, and YUI with features like
code completion.  I tried Aptana a while ago and its support for jQuery was
lacking at the time.  This may have changed, but since I found Spket, I am
going to stick with it for a while.

Mark D. Lincoln

Mark D. Lincoln, Vice President of Product Development
Eye On Solutions, LLC
(866) 253-9366x101
www.eyeonsolutions.com

Matt

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Duncan-3

+1 for Aptana, I use it as a plugin for Eclipse.

Duncan I Loxton

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Ganeshji Marwaha
i use IDEA for my server-side development... It is too good for java. I noticed that it actually had pretty neat support for js and css as well. i dont know how it compares to other IDEs made specifically for client side development. But, when i last tried aptana, i didnt get much to leave my cozy IDEA.

-GTG

I just discovered Spket IDE ( <a href="http://www.spket.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.spket.com/).  It was recommended by
someone on the Ext (<a href="http://extjs.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://extjs.com/) forums and so far, I would say it is
great!  You can install it as a standalone application or as an Eclipse
plug-in.  Needless to say, you need Java installed (version 1.4.2 or
higher).  Spket currently supports Ext, jQuery, and YUI with features like
code completion.  I tried Aptana a while ago and its support for jQuery was
lacking at the time.  This may have changed, but since I found Spket, I am
going to stick with it for a while.

Mark D. Lincoln

Mark D. Lincoln, Vice President of Product Development
Eye On Solutions, LLC
(866) 253-9366x101

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

njsuperfreak

THE IDE ROCKS! I tried the plugin for eclipse and it seems there are a
few glitchs I encountered.... I totally recomend the IDE great FTP
Support as well, only real thing it lacks is the CSS color visual.

On Aug 1, 4:47 pm, Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for Aptana, I use it as a plugin for Eclipse.
>
> On 8/2/07, Mark D. Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Matt,
>
> > I just discovered Spket IDE (http://www.spket.com/).  It was recommended by
> > someone on the Ext (http://extjs.com/) forums and so far, I would say it is
> > great!  You can install it as a standalone application or as an Eclipse
> > plug-in.  Needless to say, you need Java installed (version 1.4.2 or
> > higher).  Spket currently supports Ext, jQuery, and YUI with features like
> > code completion.  I tried Aptana a while ago and its support for jQuery was
> > lacking at the time.  This may have changed, but since I found Spket, I am
> > going to stick with it for a while.
>
> > Mark D. Lincoln
>
> > Mark D. Lincoln, Vice President of Product Development
> > Eye On Solutions, LLC
> > (866) 253-9366x101
> >www.eyeonsolutions.com

polyrhythmic

I develop PHP + HTML + CSS + JS + jQuery, and I use Komodo Edit.  It
has the Mozilla engine, can use firefox extensions, and is free.  It
does not offer debugging for all those languages, but it understands
them well and interestingly I've found the CSS auto-completion to be
the most useful.  You can preview in tab or split-screen, or teach it
to preview a file using a different address, for when I'm running
Apache + PHP and want it to preview through URL rather than
Filesystem.  I hear Firebug is very useful with Komodo Edit but
thankfully development with jQuery is so smooth I rarely have to
debug!  I haven't tried Aptana yet, has anyone tried both and think I
should make the switch?

On Aug 1, 1:47 pm, Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for Aptana, I use it as a plugin for Eclipse.
>
> On 8/2/07, Mark D. Lincoln <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Matt,
>
> > I just discovered Spket IDE (http://www.spket.com/).  It was recommended by
> > someone on the Ext (http://extjs.com/) forums and so far, I would say it is
> > great!  You can install it as a standalone application or as an Eclipse
> > plug-in.  Needless to say, you need Java installed (version 1.4.2 or
> > higher).  Spket currently supports Ext, jQuery, and YUI with features like
> > code completion.  I tried Aptana a while ago and its support for jQuery was
> > lacking at the time.  This may have changed, but since I found Spket, I am
> > going to stick with it for a while.
>
> > Mark D. Lincoln
>
> > Mark D. Lincoln, Vice President of Product Development
> > Eye On Solutions, LLC
> > (866) 253-9366x101
> >www.eyeonsolutions.com

Erik Beeson
We use IntelliJ IDEA. I haven't used anything else, so I don't know how it compares, but it works great for us. When a new developer comes in using Eclipse, we give them an IDEA license, and they've all eventually converted :) It even does selector completion in text strings, which is great for writing jQuery code.

Obviously our server side is all Java :)

--Erik

On 8/1/07, Matt Penner <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've just started developing with jQuery in the last month.  I usually
use VS 2005 or Notepad++ for my JavaScript.  It's features are pretty
much nil as far as intellisense goes.  Mainly all they do is syntax
highlighting and formatting.

What recommendations on JavaScript editors or IDEs does anyone have?
Is there something sophisticated enough that can have intellisense
with jQuery or my own objects in external js files?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Sean Catchpole
vi

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Christof Donat

> What recommendations on JavaScript editors or IDEs does anyone have?

gvim, or emacs whichever fits your needs more ;-) Just to have brought up two
alternatives to those IDEs packed with special features for everything and
everyone but don't adapt to your speciffic needs.

> Is there something sophisticated enough that can have intellisense
> with jQuery or my own objects in external js files?

I the ability to extend your editor yourself with touring-complete languages
is sophisticated enough for you, the two above are for you.

Christof

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Sam  Collett

I use Programmer's Notepad 2 (http://www.pnotepad.org/) and have even
created some jQuery text clips (amongst others - http://www.texotela.co.uk/pn2/textclips/)
for it. Although, as I am familiar with the jQuery API and have Visual
Studio I don't use the clips much.

It's not a full-blown IDE like Aptana or Visual Studio, but still a
decent editor (as it does have a lot of features and loads quickly).

On Aug 1, 7:00 pm, Matt Penner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just started developing with jQuery in the last month.  I usually
> use VS 2005 or Notepad++ for my JavaScript.  It's features are pretty
> much nil as far as intellisense goes.  Mainly all they do is syntax
> highlighting and formatting.
>
> What recommendations on JavaScript editors or IDEs does anyone have?
> Is there something sophisticated enough that can have intellisense
> with jQuery or my own objects in external js files?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

raphpell

I know only good IDE : PSPad and Context.

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Matt Penner-2
Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I used IntelliJ at a previous job and loved it.  Unfortunately we're a MS house here and I doubt I could get the request approved.  :)

I'll check out Aptana's latest as well as Spket.

I use Notepad++ for quick and easy edits so that's my general text editor of choice.  Thanks to those offering similar solutions.  I'm looking more for an IDE that can understand the link between several js files and assist with intelligent Intellisense / Snippet like features.

If anyone else has others to offer keep them coming!
Thanks,
Matt

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Dragan Krstic
HomeSite anyone? It is shame that Macromedia totally ignored. They didn't put anything new for more than 5 yrs. Yeah, it still lives in  Dreamweaver coding enviroment, and when I'm using DW, 90% of time I spent there.

Dragan Krstić krdr
http://krdr.ebloggy.com/

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

Gordon-35

At work I do most of my development in Dreamweaver 8 and use FireFox
with the FireBug plugin for testing/debugging/optimization etc.  I
also use EditPlus 2 when I just need a small lightweight editor to
quickly edit something.

i've heard that the CS3 version of Dreamweaver has much more advanced
JavaScript tools, but that they are built around it's own JavaScript
framework (Spry) and I don't know how well it would work with a third
party library like jQuery.

I've also heard about an IDE called Eclipse that supports JavaScript
among other things, but I've never tried it.

On Aug 1, 7:00 pm, Matt Penner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just started developing with jQuery in the last month.  I usually
> use VS 2005 or Notepad++ for my JavaScript.  It's features are pretty
> much nil as far as intellisense goes.  Mainly all they do is syntax
> highlighting and formatting.
>
> What recommendations on JavaScript editors or IDEs does anyone have?
> Is there something sophisticated enough that can have intellisense
> with jQuery or my own objects in external js files?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Re: Good Javascript editor or IDE?

oliver-29

I realize that you already noted that you are an MS shop, Matt, but if
you ever leave the dark side, here are some Mac suggestions:
* BBEdit (editor) + Interarchy or Transmit (SFTP) - GREAT editor and
really good file transfer programs
* Coda - all-in-one web editing environment, new but slick and
promising: I am using this now
* Aptana - already mentioned, but works nicely on the Mac too.  I am
exploring this one, but while very powerful it is clunky compared to
Coda.  The main draw would be the ability to interact with FireBug
(which I haven't got working).

oliver

12