Can I replace mouse cursor by jQuery?

David .Wu

I made a drag function, and I want the the cursor change to a picture
like a grab hand when mouse hover the grab area, I know Firefox can
use CSS like cursor:-moz-grab, but ie6 and 7 does not have it.

Re: Can I replace mouse cursor by jQuery?

Karl Swedberg-2
On Dec 25, 2008, at 3:01 AM, David .Wu wrote:

I made a drag function, and I want the the cursor change to a picture
like a grab hand when mouse hover the grab area, I know Firefox can
use CSS like cursor:-moz-grab, but ie6 and 7 does not have it.

You can still use CSS, but instead of -moz-grab, use:

cursor: move;

That will give you the grabber hand cursor in Firefox and the 4-arrow cursor in IE.

You can also use a custom cursor, but according to PPK,

This value has a few problems:

   1. IE expects a .cur file. I have no idea how to create one, so this test doesn’t work in IE.
   2. Firefox requires a second, non-URL value; like cursor: url(pix/cursor_ppk.gif), auto.
   3. The size of the image must be 32x32 pixels or lower. This is a (Windows) OS restriction; not a browser restriction.

--Karl

Re: Can I replace mouse cursor by jQuery?

David .Wu

thanks a lot, it's a great help.